- Ph.D. – Department of Physical & Colloidal Chemistry, People’s Friendship University, Moscow, Russia (1993)
- M.Sc. – People’s Friendship University, Moscow, Russia (1988)
- B.Sc. Sp. (Hons) in Chemistry – Department of Physical & Colloidal Chemistry, People’s Friendship University, Moscow, Russia (1986)
- Special Training Programme on Management. International University of Japan, Niigata & Tokyo, Japan – May 28-June 4, 2019
- Training Programme on University Rankings. Organized by the Centre for Higher Education Development (CHE), Gutersloh, Germany – June 19-20, 2018
- Executive Education Programme on Strategic Management. The University of Sydney Business School, Sydney, Australia – Feb 28-Mar 6, 2018
- Sri Lanka University Intellectual Property Policy Workshop. Organized by the Commercial Law Development Program (CLDP), US Department of Commerce – Colombo, August 24-28, 2017
- Workshop on Risk Mitigation on Procurement and Red Flags in Projects. Organized by the World Bank – Colombo, June 15-16, 2010
- Certificate Course on External Quality Assurance: Options for Higher Education Managers. International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP)/UNESCO, April 2 – June 29, 2007
- Training Program on Project Implementation under Competitive Funding Scheme. Organized by the Ministry of National Education, Republic of Indonesia. Jakarta, January 10 – 13, 2005
- Short Course on Local Area Networks. Institute of Computer Technology, University of Colombo, 1996
- Renewable Energy Sources
- Theoretical Chemistry
- Chemical Thermodynamics
- Science Education
- Quality Assurance in Higher Education
- Higher Education Policy
- History of Science
- Scientific Philosophy
Current Researches and Projects
Administrative Responsibilities & Positions hold
- Feb 2017 – to date Vice Chancellor, Uva Wellassa University of Sri Lanka (on Release from the Rajarata University of Sri Lanka)
- July 2011 – Dec 2015 Project Director, Transforming the School Education System as the Foundation of a Knowledge Hub Project – TSEP (funded by the World Bank), Ministry of Local Government and Provincial Councils
- Nov 2010 – June 2011 Deputy Project Director, Higher Education for the Twenty First Century (HETC) Project (funded by the World Bank), Ministry of Higher Education
- Feb 2007 – Oct 2010 Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist cum Coordinator/Competitive Grants, Improving Relevance & Quality of Undergraduate Education (IRQUE) Project (funded by the World Bank), Ministry of Higher Education
- Nov 2005 – Feb 2007 Consultant on Quality Assurance, IRQUE Project, Ministry of Higher Education
- Aug 1996 – to date Professor/Senior Lecturer, Department of Physical Sciences, Faculty of Applied Sciences, RUSL
- Feb 1995 – Aug 1996 Scientific Officer, National Science Foundation (formerly NARESA), Sri Lanka
- Bandara T.M.W.J., Ratnasekera J.L. Polymer electrolytes for quantum dot-sensitized solar cells (QDSSCs) and challenges. Chapter in Polymer Electrolytes: Characterization Techniques & Energy Applications. Ed. Tan Winie, Abdul Arof & Sabu Thomas. Wiley-VCH, 2019 – pp. 299–337
- Pitawala H.M.J.C., Wanithunga W.A.A.E.B., Ratnasekera J.L. and Seneviratne V.A. Ionic conductivity and interactions in sodium ion conducting solid polymer electrolytes based on poly (ethylene oxide). Journal of Technology and Value Addition, 2019, 1(2) – pp. 1–7
- Kawshalya D.H.N., Ratnasekera J.L. and Pitawala H.M.J.C. Transport properties and interactions of ionic liquid doped bio polymer based gel electrolyte for sodium rechargeable batteries. Proceedings of the International Research Conference, Uva Wellassa University, Badulla, Sri Lanka. February 7-9, 2019 – p. 481
- Bandara T.M.W.J., Ajith De Silva L., Ratnasekera J.L., Hettiarachchi K.H., Wijerathna A.P., Thakurdesai Madhavi, Preston Joshua, Albinsson I., Mellander B.-E. High efficiency dye-sensitized solar cell based on a novel gel polymerelectrolyte containing RbI and tetrahexylammonium iodide (Hex4NI) salts and multi-layered photoelectrodes of TiO2 nanoparticles. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2019, 103 – pp. 282–290
- Bandara T.M.W.J., Ratnasekera J.L. and Mellander B.-E. Quasi solid state quantum dot-sensitized solar cells, A Review. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Solar Energy Materials, Solar Cells & Solar Energy Applications. January 4-6, 2018, Kandy – pp. 75-83
- Bandara T.M.W.J., Fernando H.D.N.S., Furlani M., Albinsson I., Ratnasekera J.L., Ajith De Silva L., Dissanayake M.A.K.L. and Mellander B.-E. Combined effect of alkaline cations and organic additives for iodide ion conducting gel polymer electrolytes to enhance efficiency in dye sensitized solar cells, Electrochimica Acta, 2017, 252 – pp. 208-214
- Bandara T.M.W. J., Karunathilaka D.G.N., Ratnasekera J.L., Ajith De Silva L., Herath A. C. and Mellander B.-E. Electrical and complex dielectric behaviour of composite polymer electrolyte based on PEO, alumina and tetrapropylammonium iodide. Ionics, 2017, 23 – pp. 1711-1719
- Bandara T.M.W.J., Fernando H.D.N.S., Furlani M., Albinsson I., Dissanayake M.A.K.L., Ratnasekera J.L. and Mellander B.-E. Dependence of solar cell performance on the nature of alkaline counterion in gel polymer electrolytes containing binary iodides. Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 2017, 21 – pp. 1571-1578
- Bandara T.M.W.J., Fernando H.D.N.S., Rupasinghe E.J., Ratnasekera J.L., Chandrasena P.H.N.J., Furlani M., Albinsson I., Dissanayake M.A.K.L. and Mellander B.-E.N719 and N3 dyes for quasi-solid state dye sensitized solar cells – A comparative study using polyacrylonitrile and CsI based electrolytes, Ceylon Journal of Science, 2016, 45(2) – pp. 61-69
- Bandara T.M.W.J., Fernando H.D.N.S., Furlani M., Albinsson I., Dissanayake M.A.K.L., Ratnasekera J.L. and Mellander B-E. Effect of the alkaline cation size on the conductivity in gel polymer electrolytes and their influence on photo electrochemical solar cells, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2016, Vol. 18 – pp. 10873-10881
- Ratnasekera J.L. Elecronaye Kathandaraya (in Sinhala), Vidudaya Publishers, 2013 – 48 pp.
- Ratnasekera J.L. Vidyawe Abirahas (in Sinhala), Vidudaya Publishers, 2013 – 56 pp.
- Ratnasekera J.L. Minis Molaye Abirahas (in Sinhala), Vidudaya Publishers, 2013 – 80 pp.
- Ratnasekera J.L. Tung Thel (in Sinhala) in Sinhala Encyclopedia, Vol. 13, 2013 – pp. 645-646
- Ratnasekera J.L. Tungsten Saha Ehi Sanyoga (in Sinhala) in Sinhala Encyclopedia, Vol. 13, 2013 – pp. 646-648
- Ratnasekera J.L. What is Access to Knowledge. Proceedings, 7th National Conference on Library & Information Science (NCLIS). June 25, 2009. Colombo – pp. 27-31
- Ratnasekera J.L. World-Class Universities – Myths and Realities. Abstracts, 4th Annual Conference of University Librarians Association (ULA) of Sri Lanka. July 2-3, 2008. Colombo – pp. 5-6
- Ratnasekera J.L. and Peiris C.N. Need for External Quality Assessments of Sri Lankan University Libraries. Proceedings of 2008 APQN Conference and Annual General Meeting, February 20-22, 2008, Japan
- Peiris C.N. and Ratnasekera J.L. Students Taken for a Ride: Sri Lankan Example. Proceedings of 2007 APQN Conference and Annual General Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Ratnasekera J.L. Vidya Viththi (in Sinhala). Godage Publishers, Colombo, 2007– 80 pp.
- Ratnasekera J.L. and Peiris C.N. Sri Lankan Experience in External Quality Assessments. Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Assessing Quality in Higher Education, December 11-13, 2006, Lahore, Pakistan – pp. 333-342
- Ratnasekera J.L. and Peiris C.N. Subject Review Assessments in Sri Lankan Universities: What was revealed during the initial phase. Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Assessing Quality in Higher Education, December 11-13, 2006, Lahore, Pakistan – pp. 247-261
- Ratnasekera J.L. A to Z in QA (A Glossary in Quality Assurance). QAA Council of UGC, Colombo, 2006 – 14 pp.
- Ratnasekera J.L. Introduction to Chemical Thermodynamics, Godage Publishers, Colombo, 2005 – 88 pp.
- Pitawala A., Ratnasekera J.L. and Karunaratne B.A. Some observations on Thermally Treated Mixture of Eppawala Apatite and Marble. Abstracts, 20th Annual Technical Sessions – 2004. Geological Society of Sri Lanka. Colombo – p. 5
- Shimulis V.I., Ratnasekera J.L. and Salnikova L.V. Potentials of Intermolecular Methane – Methane and Neopentane – Neopentane Interactions. Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 68, No. 7, 1994 – pp. 1127–1130
- Shimulis V.I., Ratnasekera J.L. and Salnikova L.V. An Estimation of the Intermolecular Interaction Potential by the Regularization Method. III. Interactions of Argon, Krypton and Xenon atoms. Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 67, No. 11, 1993 – pp. 1994–1998
- Ratnasekera J.L. Balashakthiye Ithihasaya Ha Warthamanaya (in Sinhala) Vidurava, Vol. 19, No. 3/4, 1997 – pp. 7–10
- Ratnasekera J.L. Pariganaka Thakshanaya Hethuwen Pusthakalayata Nawa Muhunuwarak (in Sinhala). Vidurava, Vol. 18, No. 1/2, 1996 – pp. 23–24
- Ratnasekera J.L. Aseeme Kathawa (in Sinhala). Vidusara, Science Encyclopedia Series No. 48, 1995 – 4 pp.