- MA in Linguistic
University of Kelaniya (2009)
- BA (Honors) in English
Rajarata University of Sri Lanka (2000)
Current Research and Projects
- Particle use in Sri Lankan English: A corpus-based study of English in contact.
- Corpus Linguistics
- World Englishes
- Contact Linguistics
- English for Academic Purposes
- Computer Assisted Language Learning
- FDN 1201 – General English
- IDC 2201 – English for Professional Purposes
- Kumara, MDSS (2016):Dedicated Multimodal Corpora for ESL curriculum implications (Rajarata Corpus of Academic English-RaCAE), Saarbrücken-Germany, Lambert Academic Publishing. ISBN: 9783659963605.
- Kumara, MDSS (2013a): Information and Communication Technology for Language Learning, In Performance Enhancement through Personality and Life Skills Development – Selected Topics, Ed. Jayasinghe U &Jayaweera A, Staff Development Centre- Wayamba University of Sri Lanka, 58-75. ISBN: 9789554709041.
- Shantha Kumara, MDS (2018a): “English” and “Englishes”- A survey on the spread of varieties of English around the world. In CR Withanachchi et al (eds) SAMODHANA-Journal of Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities 7 (II) pp 29-38 Rajarata University of Sri Lanka, Mihintale. ISSN 955-9008-53-6
- Kumara, MDSS (2018b) (in Print): Contact language influence on Sri Lankan English preposition use. In Journal of Science and Management 4-(I) (based on the Paper presented at Vavunia Campus International Research Symposium, August 2017.
- Shantha Kumara, MDS (2018c): “English in Contact”: An Evaluation of Language Contact Situations of World Englishes. . In CR Withanachchi et al (eds) SAMODHANA-Journal of Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities 7 (III) pp 23-40 Rajarata University of Sri Lanka, Mihintale.
- Kumara, MDSS (2017a): Acculturation in Sri Lankan English. In WMTB Wijepala & DT Mendis (eds) The Journal of Archeology and Heritage Studies. 4(1) Rajarata University of Sri Lanka, Mihintale pp. 63-84. ISSN 2357-2604
- Kumara, MDSS (2018d): Sinhala and Tamil influence on Sri Lankan English particle use: A corpus-based study on the case of ‘for’. In Premadasa, KMGP, Wijesinghe WLPK and Adikari AMTN (eds), Proceedings of the 10th International Research Conference of General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University, Ratmalana Sri Lanka, February 2018. 730-736 http://www.kdu.ac.lk/irc2017/downloads.html ISBN 978-955-0301-41-6 http://ir.kdu.ac.lk/handle/345/1824
Kumara, MDSS (2018e): Postcolonial developments in Sri Lankan English lexis-grammar. Proceedings of the National Research Symposium on Historical Studies – Rajarata University of Sri Lanka, January 2018. 295-299 (ISBN 978-955-30-8728-7)
Kumara, MDSS (2017b): Prepositional Adjectives in Sri Lankan English. Abstracts of the 2nd International Conference of the Trincomalee Campus, September, 2017. 33 (ISBN: 19789551443870)
Kumara, MDSS & AAM Nizam (2017): Contact effects of Sinhala and Tamil languages on Sri Lankan English noun-preposition combinations. Proceedings of the 3rd National Buddhist Conference of the Biksu University of Sri Lanka, November, 2017. 494-500 (ISBN 9789551867133/ ISSN: 2579-2385)
Kumara, MDSS (2014a): “We sat for the public service exam”: An innovation in New Englishes outdoing the continued form. Conference Booklet of the 8thInternational SLELTA Conference, Oct., 2014, Colombo, Sri Lanka. 6-7
Kumara, MDSS (2014b): Up-country, low-country, hill-country, and mid-country: Semantic extension in Sri Lankan English. Conference Booklet of the 8thInternational SLELTA Conference, Oct., 2014, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Kumara, MDSS (2013b): Use of dedicated multimodal corpora for curriculum implications of EAP/ESP programs in ESL settings, Abstracts of the Corpus Linguistics 2013 conference, July 2013, Lancaster, UK. 154-156 (published in abstract form) http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/cl2013/doc/CL2013-ABSTRACT-BOOK.pdf
Kumara, MDSS (2012): Distinctive Particle Verbs in South Asian Varieties of English. Program and Abstracts of the tenth Asia TEFL International conference, October 2012, Delhi, India. 388 (published in abstract form)
Kumara, MDSS & Gunawardana R (2011): Taking a decision on making decisions: A corpus based study of two English Light Verb Constructions. Proceedings of the second Annual Research Sessions of Rajarata University of Sri Lanka, November 2011, Mihintale, Sri Lanka. 160-163 (published in abstract form) (ISSN: 2235-9710).
Shantha Kumara, MDS. &Mendis, D (2010): Making out SLE: A Corpus Based Study of Sri Lankan English Phrasal Verbs. Paper presented at the 6th International SLELTA Conference, Oct., 2010, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Kumara, M. (2009). Compilation and linguistic analysis of a dedicated corpus for the Applied Sciences. Paper presented at the Research Symposium 2009 – Faculty of Graduate Studies. University of Kelaniya.
Parakrama, A & Shantha Kumara, MDS (2009): SLELTA survey on Varieties and Standards of English. Findings presented at the SLELTA Conference on Varieties and Standards of English with special emphasis on Sri Lankan English, October 2009, Maharagama, Sri Lanka.