- M. Phil. in Public Health
University of Colombo, Sri Lanka (2017)
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBS)
University of Colombo, Sri Lanka (2000)
- Certificate Course in Teaching in Higher Education (reading)
- Basic Physiology (HPT 1201)
- Reproductive Physiology and Developmental Biology (HPT 1107)
- Introduction to Human Diseases and Health (HPT 1202)
- Working with Community (HPT 2202)
- Principles Strategies and Practices in Health Promotion (HPT 1208)
- Commercial Influences on Health (HPT 3202)
- Structural Determinants of Health (HPT 2205)
- Reduction of Tobacco and Alcohol and other drug related harm (HPT 4503)
Current Researches and Projects
- Senior Lecturer in Health Promotion (Since January 2016) – Faculty of Applied Sciences Rajarata University of Sri Lanka
- Lecturer in Health Promotion (January 2008 – December 2015) – Faculty of Applied Sciences Rajarata University of Sri Lanka
- Visiting Lecturer in Health Promotion (Since 2006) – [Postgraduate Institute of Medicine University of Colombo, Faculty of Medicine University of Colombo, Faculty of Medicine and Allied Sciences Rajarata University of Sri Lanka, Faculty of Medicine University of Kelaniya Sri Lanka, Faculty of Medicine University of Sri Jayawardhanapura Sri Lanka]
- National Consultant (2016 -2017 & 2012 – 2014) – United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) Sri Lanka
- International Consultant (2014 -2015) – United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) Maldives
- Honorary Consultant (2008 – 2015) – Sri Lanka Sumithrayo (Mel-Medura) – Drug Demand Reduction Program
- Executive Director (July 2002 – January 2008) – Sri Lanka Sumithrayo (Mel-Medura) – Drug Demand Reduction Program
Mentoring and Supervisions – International Students
- Lee Kwong Chian School of Medicine, Singapore – 12 Medical students (14th July – 22nd July 2015) – Community based interventions to prevent chronic kidney diseases prevalent in Sri Lanka
- The Sahlgrenska Academy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Gothenburg, Sweden – 01 student (20th February – 28th March 2013) – Community based health promotion
- The Sahlgrenska Academy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Gothernburg, Sweden – 17 Medical Students (04th – 21st December 2011) – Community based health promotion
- The Sahlgrenska Academy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Gothernburg, Sweden – 13 Medical Students (02nd – 19th May 2011) – Community based health promotion
- The Sahlgrenska Academy, Faculty of Health Science, University of Gothernburg, Sweden – 05 Public Health Students (02nd – 19th May 2011) – Community based health promotion
Memberships and Advisory Panels
- The Foundation for Health Promotion, Sri Lanka – Hon. Chairman (Since 2005)
- Scientific Advisory Group (SAG) on Health Promotion, World Health Organization (WHO) – Member (2015 – 2016)
- Journal of World Non Communicable Disease Federation – Member – Editorial panel (Since 2016)
- National Child Protection Authority, Sri Lanka – Member – National Coordination Forum (Since 2015)
- Sri Lanka Medical Association (SLMA) – Life member (Reg No.17250), [Member – Expert Committee on Tobacco and Alcohol (2016 – 2017), Member/Resource person – Nirogi Lanka Diabetes Prevention Program (2013 – 2015)]
- Ministry of Health, Sri Lanka – Resource person – Multi stakeholder meeting to finalize “National Youth Policy” (2014)
- Family Health Bureau, Sri Lanka – Committee member – Development of “Teen Health Website” (2015)
- Ministry of Women’s Affairs and Child Development – Member – Steering Committee on Women Help Line (Since 2016)
- Ministry of Buddhasasana and Religious Affairs – Advisor – National Drug Prevention Operational Unit (Since 2013)
- Presidential Task Force on Drug Prevention, Presidents Secretariat Sri Lanka – Member (Since 2005)
- Sri Lanka Federation of Non-Governmental Organization against Drug Abuse (SLFONGOADA) – Executive Committee Member (Since 2010)
- National Drug Prevention Operational Unit – Advisor (2005 – 2016)
- Sri Lanka Foundation Institute, Sri Lanka – Board Member – Diploma and Higher National Diploma in Counselling (Since 2005)
- Rajarata University of Sri Lanka – [Committee Member – Curricular Development, Postgraduate Diploma in Child Protection (Since 2016), Coordinator – Diploma in Health Promotion for the WHO Fellow from Myanmar (2015 – 2016), Member – Workers Ordinance Development Committee (2012)]
Publications and Presentations
- “Health promotion for the prevention of lifestyle diseases”, A resource book for facilitators, Non Communicable Diseases Unit, Ministry of Health, Sri Lanka
- “Mental health – alcohol”, Facilitators guide and handbook for primary healthcare workers, Mental Health Directorate, Ministry of Health, Sri Lanka
- “Gender based violence”, Facilitators manual for training of care staff on gender based violence – befriending component, Family Health Bureau, Ministry of Health, Sri Lanka
- “Health promotion process” (Co-author), Sri Lanka Medical Association and Ministry of Health, Sri Lanka
- “What you can do to reduce harm associated with substance use”, Ministry of Religious Affairs
- “Help your patients quit smoking” (Co-author), Sri Lanka Medical Association
Full Papers/Abstracts – International journals
- Samarasinghe, D. Fernando, W M S. Arambepola, C. and Wijerathne, C. (2013). Empowering communities to reduce the burden of diabetes and cardiovascular disease risk: lessons from the Nirogi Lanka project in Sri Lanka, Regional Health Forum journal, 17(1), WHO.
- Fernando, M.S., 2007. Role of Ngo’s and Civil Society in Addressing Alcohol-Related Harm, Symposium on Reducing Harm From Alcohol Use in the Community. Bali, Indonesia, 4-6 October 2007
- Fernando, M.S., 2006. Sri Lankan Patients Response on Doctors Advise on Quitting Smoking. World Congress on Tobacco or Health ( WCTOH ) , Washington, USA, September 2006
Full Papers/Abstracts – Local journals/conferences
- HMTP Herath, WMS Fernando, L Senarathne, GND Guruge, 2015. Evaluation of a Health Promotion Intervention in Changing Acceptance of a Gender norm which Justifies men’s Tobacco use among Women in a Rural Community in Sri Lanka, Research Symposium; Combating Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs in National Development. Alcohol and drug Information Center (ADIC), Colombo, Sri Lanka 26 March, 2015.
- Fernando, W M S. and Indika, S. (2013). A community based intervention to reduce cigarette consumption among smoking males between 21-64 years at Undurawa North, Annual research symposium on cancer, National cancer control unit and Sri Lanka Medical association.
- PWPWK Pallewaththa, HMTP Herath, NK Liyanage, CJ Fernando, CS Croos, AMCSRK Athapaththu, WMS Fernando, GND Guruge, 2015. Changing peer pressure of smoking behaviour among youth in a rural village in Anuradhapura district Sri Lanka, Research Symposium; Combating Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs in National Development. Alcohol and drug Information Center (ADIC), Colombo, Sri Lanka 26 March, 2015.
- JEMSS Jayarathna, HMTP Herath, WMS Fernando, L Senarathne, GND Guruge, 2015. Norms on attractive image given to alcohol among students in a government school in North Central Province in Sri Lanka: Findings from a cross-sectional survey. In: Research Symposium; Combating Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs in National Development. Alcohol and drug Information Center (ADIC),Colombo, Sri Lanka 26 March, 2015.
- NK Liyanage, PWPWK Pallewaththa, HMTP Herath, CS Croos, AMCSRK Athapaththu, CJ Fernando, WMS Fernando, GND Guruge, 2015. Wellawaya: A community based health promotion intervention to reduce smoking in public places. In: Research Symposium; Combating Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs in National Development. Alcohol and drug Information Center (ADIC), Colombo, Sri Lanka 26 March, 2015.
- Ihalahewage, I.D.N., Weliange, S. and Fernando, W.M.S., 2015. Improving Practices of Parents and Caregivers to reduce Unintentional Home Injuries of Children below 5 years in Wannammaduwa Village in Thirappane MOH area. In: 128th Anniversary international Medical Congress of the Sri Lanka Medical Association. Colombo, Sri Lanka 5-8 July, 2015.
- Rishani, W.T., Chandraratne, M.A.N.K. and Fernando, W.M.S., Improving parent adolescent communication on selected sexual and reproductive health problems among adolescents in a rural village in Anuradhapura District . In: 128th Anniversary International Medical Congress of Sri Lanka Medical Association. Colombo, Sri Lanka 5-8 July, 2015.
- Rishani, W.T., Chandraratne, M.A.N.K. and Fernando, W.M.S., 2015. Assessment of Parental Involvement in addressing Sexual and Reproductive Health problems among adolescents in two rural villages in Anuradhapura District, Sri Lanka. In: 8th International Research Conference of Sir John Kotelawala Defence University, Sri Lanka
- Reyal, H. P., Guruge, G.D.N. & Fernando, W.M.S., 2013. A Health Promotion Intervention to Reduce Domestic Violence in a Rural Community in Anuradhapura District. In: NIHS (National Institute of Health Sciences) International Conference on Public Health Innovations: “sharing evidence based interventions and best practices to meet the public health challenges”. Kaluthara, Sri Lanka 2-4 May 2013.
- Kandegedara, K.G.P.H., Fernando, W.M.S. and Guruge, G.N.D., 2012. Effectiveness of health promotion approach in improving maternal knowledge regarding importance in fulfilling children’s needs in a village in Anuradhapura District: In: National Science and Technology Commission YSF Symposium, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Kandegedara, K.G.P.H., Fernando, W.M.S. and Guruge, G.N.D., 2012. Health Promotion Approach to Optimize the Fulfillment of Children Needs through Strengthening Mother’s View. In: International ECCD Conference, (Organized by ARNEC, National Coalition for ECCD and the World Bank) Indonesia, Jakarta.
- Herath, T., Guruge, D. & Fernando, M., 2012. Evaluation of a health promotion intervention in changing the acceptance of gender roles among women in a rural community in Sri Lanka. In: International Conference on Public Health. Colombo, Sri Lanka 3-4 December 2012. Colombo: ICRD
Presentations and Speeches – International
- First World Non-Communicable Diseases (NCD) Congress organized by the World NCD Federation, Chandigarh, India.
- NCD Prevention through health promotion, China Heart Congress, Beijing, China 2016.
- Health promotion as an effective tool to address NCD risk factors, 8th Shanghai International Forum of Brain Health organized by the Shanghai Health Education Institute, China, Shanghai, China 2016.
- Priorities for global health, Social Innovation Think Tank Round Table, York University, Toronto, Canada, 2016
- Regional Workshop to Strengthen Health Promotion in Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals, Regional trainer and temporary adviser to the Regional Director, WHO SEARO, Bangkok, Thailand, 2016.
- Community Interventions to Address Adolescent Health., Regional Program Managers Meeting on Adolescent Health organized by WHO SEARO, Delhi, India, 2014. (25th – 27th November 2014 – Delhi, India)
- Role of NGO’s and civil society in addressing alcohol related harm, WHO regional workshop on Addressing Alcohol Related Harm, Temporary adviser to the Regional Director, WHO SEARO, Bali, Indonesia, 2012
Presentations and Speeches – Local
- There are more than 200 local trainings, workshops and speeches delivered during a period of 10 years for Health care officers attached to Ministry of Health, Teachers, Students, staff of other Ministries, communities, women’s groups and youth on subjects Health Promotion, Community based Health Interventions, Alcohol and tobacco prevention, Addressing GBV and Improving wellbeing.